Thanks for listening to our conversation about scientists saying stupid things! If you'd like to leave us some feedback, you can do that at the link above, on our Facebook page, or by contacting us on Twitter: @DavidKnuffke, @PaulAndersen, & @HrzntlTrnsfr. Subscribe to the podcast on iTunes here, or support the show here. For additional information about the discussion, check out the links below.
Summer reading Assignment #2- Read letters/chapter 6-10 in “Letters to a Young Scientist”
- What it’s like in David’s school at current.
- Fifty Frequently Forgotten Fun Facts for the Chemistry Regents.
- In Montana, the children must reap.
- New York State June Regents Testing Period 2015.
- Everything wrong with the NYS Chemistry Regents Scale expressed as a single graph.
- You should read more Brad Williamson.
- Paul and Brad Williamson on the prairie
- Paul had dinner with some vectors in Washington D.C.
- Near the NYS Tri-State Area? Come to #SciTech15!
- The Number of Tri-State Areas in America
- Angela A. is a Twenty Truck devotee.
- A super-excited newcomer to the Blind Bag/Surprise Egg YouTube Toddlerscape.
- Vector Trading Card Prototype
- Jon D. cites the “Flynn Effect”, and uses a quality vocabulary word in the process.
- David liked Dr. Wilson’s treatment of Math in Biology.
- Paul like the advice to focus on passion first, then training.
- Do not doubt Dr. Wilson’s savvy!
- Do not not leave us feedback!
- David’s former student recommends the “Occupy the Bookstore” chrome extension for finding the best price on textbooks (and you should send it to all of your students).
- Paul is a big time audible user
This Week's Topic: Scientists Saying Stupid Things
- What Dr. Tim Hunt said about female scientists.
- How the scientific community responded to Dr. Tim Hunt.
- How Dr. Tim Hunt “apologized”.
- What Dr. James Watson said (about “Africa” specifically, he’s said a lot over the years).
- How cyclins work.
- What Dr. Ben Carson said about evolution.
- E.O. Wilson on James Watson.
- David, Paul, and a group of other awesome folks meet James Watson.
- Devaluing the work that people do because of the opinions they hold is an example of the genetic fallacy.
- “How to apologize without being a fartbag”
- You don’t want to be Michael Lacour right now.
- Forgiveness is a human trait.
- “So You’ve Been Publicly Shamed”