Thanks for listening to our discussion of educational ideas that should die! If you'd like to leave us some feedback, you can do that at the link above, on our Facebook page, or by contacting us on Twitter: @DavidKnuffke, @PaulAndersen, & @HrzntlTrnsfr. Subscribe to the podcast on iTunes here. For additional information about the discussion, check out the links below.
Thanks to everyone who contributed!
- “Pathways with friends” and “When Cells Don’t Communicate” are both from Learn Genetics.
- Andersen Family Bad Lip Reading
- Piktochart has great free infographic option.
- David’s AP Biology Summer Assignment
- Paul’s AP Biology Summer Assignment
- Sidney B. uses Diigo to maximal effect.
- Skitch makes screenshot markup easy, as does Awesome Screenshot.
- TabCloud is handy for repetitive tab combinations.
This Week's Topic: Dead Educational Ideas
1. Learning styles questionnaires which help kids only to box themselves in and set false limits with learning styles labels. -Josh T
2. Subject superiority- the notion that some subjects are better than other subjects -David K.
3. The idea that teachers have to always lecture and students have to sit and listen. -Meg T. That lecture is EVIL! there is a place for direct instruction...Especially when something totally new is introduced. -Elisa C. lecture only classes must die. Learn by doing is infinitely more effective. -Ryan D
4. That all students should be college ready -Lee F.
5. That Cell phones are bad -Jake R.
6. Standardized tests -David O.
7. That only men make great discoveries and are important in history. -Elizabeth C.
8. Also, that Finland is the BEST for education. Hello homogeneous population in the classroom. -Kelly O.
- Finland is doing away with teaching by subject.
9. That homework is essential (except maybe in math and foreign language) -Kelly O.
10. Grade inflation! Grades in general, but also the idea that effort = you pass instead of knowing concepts = you pass. -Caryn D.
- The importance of narrative feedback.